On 03/12/2012 05:40 PM, Scott Talbert wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>>> I also have gone back and forth on this a lot. My thought for the first
>>> round
>>> was going to be setting up ISC DHCP (or one of the others). I don't much
>>> like
>>> the idea of maintaining our own, even though it's pared down.
>>
>> Have you guys looked at how other projects achieve similar goals? Not
>> the same, but similar...the one that occurred to me is how
>> virt-manager / libvirt handle it, since they need the host system to act
>> as a DHCP server for guest systems. I believe libvirt uses dnsmasq for
>> this. It occurs to me that dd-wrt also uses dnsmasq. So it seems like
>> maybe that's a good candidate to use when you need a plug-in DHCP server
>> like this.
>
> Adam, good idea.  I'll take a look at dnsmasq (and see what else is out
> there).

I wouldn't want to distribute dnsmasq with concordance. Using this still
requires the user to setup something additional.

If we wanted to go that route, I would probably say we provide example configs
for dnsmasq, bind, etc.

Unless I'm missing something... but it seems like just a lightweight daemon
you'd install and configure. But we could provide a config file for dnsmasq
just as easily as we could provide a config stanza/file for ISC DHCP.

(For the record, Scott, I won't to hold up the rest of your patch on sorting
out the DHCP stuff. I'll do another round of review on that patch, and test
it, and hopefully we can get that merged soon. I'm not ruling our your DHCP
solution, I just haven't decided I want to go that route...)

--
Phil Dibowitz                             p...@ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
 and those who matter don't mind."
 - Dr. Seuss