Hi Maia,

The part of my post referencing role names was meant to be ironic ("when
men were men ...") and was triggered by Robert's post about some future
nostalgia. I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else. I have no problem
with any of the gender free names. Nor do I have a problem with "right
shoulder round" apart from it being a mouthful and that callers no longer
emphasize eye contact. But that's fine. I get that not everyone is
comfortable with making eye contact with everyone else. Those who want to,
do. Neither of these changes has in any way detracted from my dance
experience.

But the Covid part was not ironic. I definitely miss not being able to
simply go to a dance without restrictions. And I miss seeing people's
faces. But at least requirements like pre-registration, testing and mask
wearing impose reasonable requirements on all dancers, even though I
personally have chosen not to go to a dance that requires masking. But I
believe that vaccination requirements are out and out exclusionary and that
the data is at best mixed as to whether asymptomatic unvaccinated or
partially vaccinated dancers pose any greater risk of transmitting Covid
than asymptomatic fully vaccinated and boosted dancers, especially as the
virus continues to mutate. Requiring that a person puts a synthesized
chemical into their body is not equivalent to requiring that they wear a
mask. And that's why virtually all vaccination mandates have been dropped,
even by organizations like the Metropolitan Opera that caters to older,
more vulnerable populations. It's ironic that this thread is all about
making dances as inclusive as possible while some of the largest dances in
New England exclude over 80% of the population (those who have not gotten
the bivalent booster). It doesn't much matter what the role names are when
you're not allowed to go to a dance in the first place.

   - Jon