On 28 Feb 2002, Nick Texidor wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 14:30, Stew Benedict wrote:
> > Thinking about it a bit, I seem to recall crazed urpmi behavior similar to
> > what you're reporting on the normal cooker list.  it may be the same
> > problem version is on the PPC ISO's.   Use it daily here against my local
> > build tree to update my system, but I'm probably 8 versions ahead of those
> > ISO's by now.  You might try grabbing a newer on from the mirrors and see
> > if that helps.
>
> Please forgive my questions Stew.. I've been using Mandrake for nearly a
> year and while I can get around and use it on a day to day basis I
> definitely wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch!
>
> I don't have the bandwidth to download the ISO's, so I wait until
> www.everythinglinux.com.au in Sydney have them available to burn.  When
> Mandrake announced the PPC Beta nearly a week ago, I chased them up to
> see if they had it.  They made it available on Monday, and burnt my CD's
> on Tuesday.  As far as I could tell from my conversation with them this
> morning is that they simply downloaded the beta ISO's and burnt them to
> the CD's.
>
> Could this mean that the mirrors that store the beta ISO's are housing
> the versions with the dodgy urpmi behaviour you mention?  Or are the
> beta iso's updated regularly to relfect changes?  If the beta ISO's are
> different to the ones you are refering to, how do I go about getting the
> latest ISO's that you mentioned?
>
> Once again, please excuse my (probably very) basic questions.

No problem.  The ISO are essentially a snapshot/subset of what is on
cooker-ppc.  There are 1.7GB in total, that  have to squeeze into 2 ISO's,
hence the various libraries and packages that got overlooked on the first
pass.  Cooker marches on, changing daily, but the ISO's are fixed, until
another beta or RC is released.  What I was referring to was grabbing
individual packages to update/augment what are on your ISO's from the
cooker tree.  If you're selective on what you get, you shouldn't need too
much bandwidth, heck I ran for 9 months building this stuff over a 56K
line.

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc