Yeehaaaa!!

Got the modem working!!  Ok, originally, it was appearing in dmesg as the
serial driver, after adding the macserial line to the modules.conffile and modprobing,
the Internal Modem message appeared.

However, kppp still said it couldn't find the modem.  After reading
through the kpp help doco, I found the reference to the pre- and post-initdelays.
These both default to 50.  I messed around with these a bit, and
found that when I set them to 100, the modem suddenly started to bedetected.

So I'm not connecting though 8.2 and kppp!!

One thing I did find in my travels.. not sure if I'm meant to run it
standalone or not, and that is detect.  It seg-faulted.  Also Harddrakewasn't working
for me.  linuxconf (in the ppp connection section) was
doing some strange things when backspacing in the fields too. Whetherthis is just on
the powerbook I don't know, I don't have any other machine
to try it on.
Thanks

Nick