On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Justin Christopher wrote:

> Okay, here's my beta report from memory. There may be
> a few more, I'll check when I get home.
>
> Let me preface this by saying that this is easily the
> best Linux I've tried for PowerPC. I hope these, and
> the other issues I've seen can be resolved, because
> the speed puts OS X to shame, and I'll gladly pay the
> $100 or whatever the suggested donation is. A LOT of
> stuff seems to work. It picked up my modem, network
> card, and Airport card, a USB wheel mouse, and even
> the sound works!
>
> My system: Apple iBook2 (dual USB, 500mhz, 640 MB RAM,
> Airport, 56k modem, ethernet), Mandrake 8.2 PPC Beta
>
> Bugs/Suggestions:
>
> 1. The installer picked up both my ethernet and
> Airport card, and offered to configure both. Great! I
> chose DHCP for both of them. But when I reboot,
> neither eth0 or eth1 gets an IP address from my
> Airport base station. Gotta get this fixed, because
> with no network connection, can't get updated RPMs.
> (Windows and OS X clients get IPs from the base
> station, no problem).

As wireless becomes more mainstream on x86, I imagine this will be better
addressed. There are folks using airport successfully, so I'm sure someone
will chime in with what needs to be done to fix it.

> 2. As reported by someone else this morning, I also
> have the "palette problem" on the GUI login box. It's
> pretty bad - only by having previously used it on
> another system would you know where to type and click
> -new users would be out of luck... Note that I believe
> my system has the same video card (ATI Rage128) as the

Noted.

> 3. On x86, the installers seem to recognize that it's
> a laptop and give you a battery monitor. 8.2 beta did
> not. I went into the KDE control center's battery
> section (Where you choose to have an icon displayed),
> and it indicated that I did not have APM, and would
> have to compile it. That's beyond me at this point. It
> would be nice if this "just worked".

apm is an entirely different animal than power management on PPC. Pmud
should have been installed, and there's a GUI app that goes with it called
batmon. Support is in the kernel as installed.

> 4. Can't get into Gnome, it just dumps you back to the
> login screen. Probably related to the missing packages
> from the CD #2 rejection problem?

known prob - missing/broken libs

> 5. Unfortunately, there is a major showstopper: on the
> second reboot after the install, there was a line
> about "looking for internet connections to start at
> boot". It just hangs there, forever.  :(  Something I
> did "wrong"?

I'm not familiar with this message. Normally you see each interface come
up, and if it's dhcp and it doesn't find a server there will be a looong
timeout.

> Let me know if you need me to do any testing on these
> issues, I'll be happy to help if it can improve the
> final product.

Thanks

MandrakeSoft    OH/TN, USA http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~sbenedict/
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/PPC/FAQ/
Cooker-PPC IRC:  irc.openprojects.net/#cooker-ppc