On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:19:48PM -0800, Justin Christopher wrote:
> 1. The installer picked up both my ethernet and
> Airport card, and offered to configure both. Great! I
> chose DHCP for both of them. But when I reboot,
> neither eth0 or eth1 gets an IP address from my
> Airport base station. Gotta get this fixed, because
> with no network connection, can't get updated RPMs.
> (Windows and OS X clients get IPs from the base
> station, no problem).

If you're using WEP (you have a password on your airport) you'll need to
install wirless_tools.  You can check to see if they are installed by
doing:
rpm -q wireless-tools

If not get the package off your CDs and install it via:
rpm -Uvh wireless-tools-22-1mdk.ppc.rpm

Then add these lines to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
(I'm assuming eth1 is your airport since that's the default).
WIRELESS_ESSID=<nameoftheaccesspoint>
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=s:<password>

Replace <nameoftheaccesspoint> with the name your airport is set to.
Replace <password> with the password you enter to get on.

ifup eth1

And it should work.

> 3. On x86, the installers seem to recognize that it's
> a laptop and give you a battery monitor. 8.2 beta did
> not. I went into the KDE control center's battery
> section (Where you choose to have an icon displayed),
> and it indicated that I did not have APM, and would
> have to compile it. That's beyond me at this point. It
> would be nice if this "just worked".

Talk to the KDE people or Apple.  KDE's battery monitor only works with
APM.  Apple doesn't use APM in Powerbooks.  They use PMU.  Their own
power management system.  Look into the pmud package.  It include a
battery monitor called batmon, it works.  Or you can use the pmud plugin
for gkrellm.

> 4. Can't get into Gnome, it just dumps you back to the
> login screen. Probably related to the missing packages
> from the CD #2 rejection problem?

Yes that's the missing libraries.

> 5. Unfortunately, there is a major showstopper: on the
> second reboot after the install, there was a line
> about "looking for internet connections to start at
> boot". It just hangs there, forever.  :(  Something I
> did "wrong"?

I doubt it would hang forever.  It should die after your dhcp attempts
fail.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty and democracy? - Ghandi