On 3/6/02 22:42, "Stew Benedict" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Jeroen Diederen wrote:
>
>> The bridge is a little connection, that transforms serial Appletalk into
>> ethernet.
>> Ansanté and Farallon sell these bridges. These printers were connected to old
>> Macintosh computers to a serial port. Nowadays, these port are no longer on
>> new Macs
>> and these bridges can then be used to connect these printers to newer Macs. I
>> have a
>> Laserwriter 320 (bought it for 75 guilders, plus a newly filled toner a 100
>> guilders,
>> sum = 175 guilders) connected to an iMac 400 with such a bridge, I should
>> check at
>> home the brand name of the bridge.
>>

> So it sounds much like a print server, which you treat like an lpd server
> on another machine.  You just setup the server name or IP and the port
> (some, like one of mine have multiple ports), along with your printer type
> etc.  The existing tools allow this type of setup now.
>
>> These bridges are also very cheap, I bought one for eighty guilders (around
>> 35 euro).
>>
>> This could be bought by you I think as people donate to the ppc-port, don't
>> they ?
>>

> People do donate I suppose, but that money doesn't land in my expense
> account.  You're working under the assumption that the PPC port is
> profitable and there is extra money to expand the effort,
>
> Stew Benedict
Well, I tried this. You then have to manually edit the printcap file. This
did not work out. The astonishing thing was that I already configured my HP
Deskjet USB printer under Mandrake, with Harddrake. But there was nothing in
printcap ! So obviously the lpd does not look in there only...
Best regards,

Jeroen Diederen
http://diederen.demon.nl