On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, [iso-8859-1] Gaétan QUENTIN wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know what your problem is, but i was wondering, about ppc cooker:
> i have installed mandrake 9.1 on my imac and pc. Then i have updated them,
> from 9.1 to cooker.
>
> Since that day, i update my systems (pc and ppc) daily and i can say that if
> the i586 cooker version is moving fast (there is a lot of new packages
> daily), the ppc version is far behind. For an example: impossible to update
> kde, since there is no new kde binary packages for a very long time...
>

> So my question is: is ppc cooker abandonned and how many cookers are working
> on it?

Cooker-ppc is a community/volunteer effort.  Currently there is one
person, I believe, building the packages, and the lag behind x86 is
partically just physics.  x86 packages are built on a multi-machine
cluster in Paris, which builds many times faster than the single machines
that I was using when I was doing the official builds.

Complicating this is when there are rapid-fire releases of large packages,
say kde* in one day.  You might be in the middle of one build and another
comes out before you even finish it.  There have been occasions where I've
had to kill these builds 3 or 4 times and blown a whole day of machine
time with no packages built.

So, no, it's not abandoned, but it doesn't have the same level of
resources committed to it as the official platforms.

MandrakeSoft