Am 2000-04-06, um 23:19:31 (-0700) schrieb Eugenio Diaz:
> I don't know what he is talking about, since as far as
> I know the number after the colon in the DISPLAY
> variable indicates a display number in the X server,
> and has nothing to do with any ssh controlled port;
> that handled by the ssh/sshd combo, and probably the X
> client and server don't even know their connection is
> being forwarder through other ports. Plus I was
> talking about localhost<-->localhost connection
> anyways, where packets never touch the interface
> cable, where only systems valid users could possibly
> have an opportunity to snoop them.
OK, I understand You only want to make local connections
to Your machine. But You totally missunderstood the
concept of ssh.

ssh stands for "secure shell" so every time You are
going to connect to a sshd (a secure shell daemon)
Your ssh-client will make a encrypted (= secure)
connection. When You enable X11 connections via ssh,
the sshd will use a virtual X11 server, some sort of
proxy, to handle your X-requests and transfer them
encrypted via Your ssh connection.
So If You are only working on your local machine,
(standalone computer), using ssh is only a
possibility to slowdown Your machine ;-)

--
Tschüss und bis demnächst,

                        Stefan

|  Stefan Siegel                               |
|  Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 34 / App. 144          |
|  D-67663 Kaiserslautern                      |
|  Tel.: +49-631-18269                         |
|  http://www.student.uni-kl.de/~siegel/       |
|  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
|  PGP Public Key:                             |
|  finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] |