Le lun 17/03/2003 à 06:37, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> >    I'll give you one scenario where I log in as root all the time...
> > Install fests.  I'm sure all of these people don't want a user james on
> > their box....another is when a friend calls up and says... It won't work
> > can you help...  I log in as root so I don't have to keep asking them
> > for the root password... once is enough this way.
> I would just Terminals->Konsole (super user mode).

This is fine if you're used to command-line, but poor ex-Windows
sysadmins have problems with that.

They used to login as Administrator, open Explorer to move files around,
configure all their stuff. Now they are *forced* to use command-line to
manage the system.

This is what they do right now:
->Terminals->Konsole (super user mode), type their root password, then
type "konqueror&"
->Mandrake Control Center, type their root password
->Webmin (for Samba), type their root password
->Add a package, type their root password
Then they close the apps, and have to do that time and time again...

And when there's two or more admins, and that one has to manage a
computer that belongs to someone else and whose root password consists
of something like "p%G45l;*", they never remember it. So they call the
other sysadmin on his cellphone, and the poor guy has to give the root
password while in the middle of a meeting, and since there's
interference, he has to yell, so everyone at the meeting knows the root
password.

So, I ask, what is worse? This scenario, or doing the supposedly bad
thing and logging in as root?

That's not too bad for me since I roll my own CDs and will remove
mdkkdm, but I pity the poor Todd who will have to answer phone tech
support =(

Jean-Michel