Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Monday 17 March 2003 09:23 am, Jean-Michel Dault wrote:
>

>>This is fine if you're used to command-line, but poor ex-Windows
>>sysadmins have problems with that.
>>
>>They used to login as Administrator, open Explorer to move files around,
>>configure all their stuff. Now they are *forced* to use command-line to
>>manage the system.
>>
>>This is what they do right now:
>>->Terminals->Konsole (super user mode), type their root password, then
>>type "konqueror&"

Apps->File Management->File Manager super-user mode (type password of
course)

>>->Mandrake Control Center, type their root password
>>->Webmin (for Samba), type their root password

Or change the perms on /etc/samba/smb.conf to give a certain group write
access ...

>>->Add a package, type their root password

>>Then they close the apps, and have to do that time and time again...
>>

>>And when there's two or more admins, and that one has to manage a
>>computer that belongs to someone else and whose root password consists
>>of something like "p%G45l;*", they never remember it. So they call the
>>other sysadmin on his cellphone, and the poor guy has to give the root
>>password while in the middle of a meeting, and since there's
>>interference, he has to yell, so everyone at the meeting knows the root
>>password.

This applies whether the person is logging into a dm or the console or
running su. And it needs to be addressed, similar to the rights
management Windows has. Maybe just a gui for sudo. sudo urpmi would
solve this if there were a gui. And it should have integation with some
network information system like LDAP.

BTW, we just have 3 people who know the single root password used across
all machines, changed often, and ensure that one of those 3 is available.

- --