Le lun 17/03/2003 à 16:21, Buchan Milne a écrit :
> > > Or change the perms on /etc/samba/smb.conf to give a certain group write
> > > access ...
> > That's an excellent suggestion. Is it in a howto somewhere?
> Sorry, no time for that yet, too busy trying to convince others that
> Mandrake is an enterprise-class samba server (winbind integration,
> LDAP-enabled samba-2.2.x RPMS, LDAP-Domain-controller HOWTO in the works

Make sure you publish the link on this list when it's done! I know you
have done a lot of work on Samba, but I haven't had the time to check
all the changelogs to see what was improved =)

> What do yuo need to go into the server room for???

Most NT admins do just that. They don't know the power of remote X or
VNC, unfortunately. And they often are scared of the command line.

We need to educate them, but it takes an awful lot of time to do it on
the phone or face-to-face. Because a lot of them don't have the reflexes
to e-mail you.

They also don't believe you when you tell them there are many things you
cannot do using the GUI, and that the command line is much more
powerful. When that happens, my evil trick is to ssh into their system
and do a: "while true;do eject;eject -t;done". I then tell them to try
and stop the CD from ejecting, and to call me back when they give up the
GUI.. works all the time ;-)

I have a hard time when their servers are not connected to the internet
though.

> Only passwords on post-its I have seen are in my wallet, for machines
> no-one else knows about, with nothing on the paper identifying it ...

I have a fantastic photographic and finger-touch memory. There are many
systems where I couldn't tell you the password: I only remember the
finger gestures to log in ;-)

> > Draksudo would be a nice addition =)
> So how's your perl-GTK2 ? ;-)
> (sorry, running joke with another admin here, I keep asking him how his
> perl is, since he has some scripts to fix ...)

My perl-GTK2 sucks. I think it would be easier for me to create a php-QT
package than to learn GTK ;-)

Jean-Michel