On Thu Mar 27 14:05 +0000, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 07:39, Joerg Skottke wrote:
> > Per,
> > thank you for the information.
> > This means the XF86Config-4 file is kept when upgrading? I simply
> > ignored that. However this is a problem since GeForce cards are rather
> > common stuff and none of them will work anymore after updating.
> > This is worth a bug.
>
> I don't see a good solution. What are the options?
>
> 1) Wipe XF86Config entirely, create a new one that works.
>
> Advantage - it works. Disadvantage - people with a nicely setup config
> that would be fine after simply recompiling the nvidia drivers will be
> angry.
>
> 2) Disable the "glx" module if present and the card is an nvidia.
>
> Advantages and disadvantages similar - it'd produce a working file, but
> annoy people who didn't want it modifying.

Perhaps just an informational dialog saying "You have installed a
proprietary NVidia driver which is incompatible with Mandrake $VERSION.
Do you want to a) use the "nv" driver (which has no 3-D support) or b)
keep your current configuration (in which case you'll need to rebuild
your NVidia drivers before X will work again)?  MandrakeSoft recommends
use of the "nv" driver." would work?  Then users are informed that
there's a situation.

Perhaps there should be an NVidia howto covering this issue which we can
refer users to...

--
Levi Ramsey
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The food of love is Mandrake root.
GPG Fingerprint: 354C 7A02 77C5 9EE7 8538  4E8D DCD9 B4B0 DC35 67CD
Currently playing: Hey You.ogg
Linux 2.4.21-0.13mdk
 10:10:00 up 3 days, 14:29,  9 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.70, 0.88