Le Samedi 07 Juin 2003 20:55, Stefan van der Eijk a écrit :
> Jaroslaw Zachwieja wrote:
> >>But, we might be getting to the point where we actually need a cooker
> >>extranet. For example, I would like to be able to remove build output on
> >> an automated build host to get a package rebuilt, but we wouldn't want
> >>anyone to be able to remove build output ...

It seems installer need works on sparc/alpha; Guillaume Cottenceau seems to
agree about working on port be he need a computer to test, of course.

About network, I have an athlon as frontend which host chroot for plf, it have
lot of disk space, host unique home/repository for all development
(i586/ppc/sparc).

About buildoutput, I have a personnal script to rebuild package on ppc/sparc.
log are put in a directory, maybe we can a unique repository where all
rebuilder can upload automatically those files. With a standard convention
naming for automatically removing obsoletes log.

> >Well, SPARC's (and at some point Alpha and Opteron 240 SMP) at CSC are on
> >private network behind 9.1 i586 box. I can't see anything that should stop
> >us from creating the extranet and have the builds automated and
> >coordinated. Some centralised user authentication might be a good idea at
> >some point if we have more developers.
> >
> >The only drawback would be probably the fact, that single development
> >machines without dedicated front-end might need some more work to
> >configure everything, but I think that it'll be worth it.
> >
> >Stefan? Olivier? Gwenole? What do you think?
> >
> >At the moment, to my knowledge we have the following machines _dedicated_
> >to non-intel cooker development (please, developers, fill in all blanks):
> >
> >Alpha
> > - 2 x XP1000 - CSC still 7.1b - need help with this
> > - 1 x ?????? - Stefan Van Der Eijk
>
> PWS 433au
>
> > - others?
>
> mpol has an alpha.
> Juan has one.
> there used to be one at the Paris office (same as Juan's?)
>
> >SPARC
> >
> > - 1 x SparcStation 10 SMP - Olivier Thauvin
> > - 1 x SparcClassic - CSC (unused - 32 bit system)
> > - 2 x Ultra 10 - CSC
> > - 1 x Ultra 5 - CSC
> > - others?
> >
> >PPC
> >
> > - 1 x ?????? - Olivier Thauvin
Titanium G4 500, 512 Mo Ram

> > - others?
> >
> >x86_64
> >
> > - 1 x Dual Opteron 240 - CSC (ETA 15 days)
> > - others?
>
> PA-RISC
> - 1 x HP 9000 D-class model D390/800 - Stefan van der Eijk (on loan
> during the summer)
I have one HP box but don't know if linux can run on it. Will looking.

> MIPS
> - 1 x SGI IRIS Indigo - Stefan van der Eijk (RAM defect?)
>
> >I think, that only computers solely dedicated (i.e. not used in any other
> >way) may be listed here and eventually included in the extranet.
> >
> >Because CSC uses Mandrake on all workstations and servers, and we're very
> >happy with it (kudos to both cooker and core development teams!) our
> >position is to support development of the distribution by providing
> >hardware and network resources in return. Naturally we're aware that
> >hosting the machines is serious commitment (especially sustaining the
> >support over time) and we're ready to fulfil it.
> >
> >Maybe if we manage to pull this off before 9.2 and have all the packages
> >rebuilt, MandrakeSoft will be interested in releasing 9.2 for i586,
> >x86_64, Alpha, Sparc64 and PPC?
>
> <IMHO>
> Releasing means supporting. supporting a product requires an
> organisation and knowledge being available. It also needs to be
> worthwhile --> bring some $$$ to the company. For the alpha, mips,
> pa-risc and sparc the market is too small.

Right, but look at ppc, mandrake exactly the same product as you can find on
mirror ( 3 isos ). Mandrake never make somethings to promute the distro on
non i586.

I think making an installable distro for sparc/alpha/ppc will make publicity
and prove a mandrake activity.

> Since I'm more or less the maintainer of the alpha port, I've had some
> interesting discussions with mdk employees on this topic. I don't have
> the illusion that the alpha port will ever turn into a "product" that
> will be supported and even bring revenue to mdk. I see it as my personal
> research project --> I want to prove that maintaining multiple ports can
> be done efficiently...
> </IMHO>

Well maybe I can explain why I restart sparc ports:
- I like play
- I like to works on non standards things.

Is it usefull, not sure ;)

> >Wouldn't it be the first commercial
> >distribution (in couple of years) that allows to run the same system
> >across 5 architectures?
>
> We'll have to see... :-)
>
> It would even be nice if we (the community) can maintain these ports and
> learn a bit & have some fun...

Fully agree

--
Linux pour Mac !? Enfin le moyen de transformer
une pomme en véritable ordinateur. - JL.