On 2003-06-24(Tue) 14:04:40 -0400, Charles A Edwards wrote:
> Well I did not save the errors when they happened and today when I
> tried to reproduce, the build had no problems.
> Go figure.

... If you have preinstalled 0.12.1 before building?

> > I was trying to make big modification to gettext spec (cleanup, split
> > java subpackage etc), and submit to gc afterwards for review. Gettext
> > package really needs some love now.
>
> Are you working on 0.12.1?
>
> I had to use
>   libtoolize --copy --force
>   autoconf
> for the libs to build properly.

Yes, the stock libtool 1.5 has just partially fixed the DESTDIR issue.
Now at least stuff can build successfully even if no preinstalled
libraries were present, but if you have preinstalled older libraries,
then these old libraries in system library path will be picked up during
relinking stage. Nasty.

Worse yet, this problem has been reported by many people, but still
ignored in libtool list.

Abel

--
Abel Cheung