On Fri 04 Jul 2003 19:52, Adam Williamson posted as excerpted below:

> still seem to have this devfsd problem that people are experiencing to
> various degrees. loop, nvidia, usbmouse and probably some others I don't
> know about are not loaded on boot.
>
> So to boot up I have to pick my kernel, do Alt-SysRq-E when module
> dependencies freeze, login to the console, modprobe nvidia and usbmouse,
> restart the xfs service and restart the dm service. This is not optimal.
>
> :)

Sounds like that is a bit of an understatement.  At least it boots!  <g>

FWIW..  My system is a bit different.  I'm running 2.4.21 self-compiled from
kernel.org.  As such, I have boot-required modules like reiserfs (on all my
partitions except for swap, naturally, and legacy vfat) built-in, so don't
need or have an initrd to worry about.

That said, with devfsd -30mdk here, no serious issues.  I don't have usbmouse
(still use ps2, since I have the port and it's less complicated than tracking
USB for such a critical input device), but I have nvidia supporting two
monitors on my AGP GForce2 (svirge on the PCI supporting a third monitor).  I
originally didn't load it on boot, but at X start (I boot init 3 by default
and start X/KDE from my user login with the kde command from BASH).  However,
I'm assuming due to the binary portion being compiled with a different gcc,
that didn't work after I upgraded to kernel 2.4.21.  It does, however, work
if I load nvidia from /etc/modules at boot, which I am doing now.  I have
loopback modulized, but haven't used it recently so don't know whether it
works or not.

Anyway, while several have said it's a devfsd issue, I'm not sure that's
entirely the case, as it doesn't seem to be affecting me here, with a
standard kernel.org kernel, and no initrd.  If it IS specifically a devfsd
issue, the kernel and/or initrd apparently triggers it.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin