On Sat 05 Jul 2003 14:52, Adam Williamson posted as excerpted below:
> But you maybe *do* have the bug. the nvidia module should load if you
> have this line in /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia
>
> but for many of us, it doesn't. We have to load it manually or put it in
> /etc/modules. what about you?

That's what I thought I said..  However, I attribute it to something else..
the binary only bit of the nvidia module, as I had to force
recompile/reinstall of the nvidia module after compiling and switching to
2.4.21, as the nvidia installer otherwise gave me a warning/error about me
using a different compiler to compile the module than I had to compile the
kernel, tho it was the same one, and I'd just finished compiling the kernel.
The only reasonable explanation for that is that the nvidia binary-only
component was compiled with a different compiler, which would be expected
since I rather doubt they could be using the latest Cooker gcc, when I
believe this release (the latest, but..) was out b4 the latest gcc!

Thus, I think the problem is the stupid binary-only core, which of necessity
HAS to be compiled with something older than the newest gcc, rather than
devfsd or some other such thing.  I expect the reason it won't load by
default now has to do with the compiler differences, tho it will still load
if specifically loaded, as it is when loaded from modules or manually.

I really wish they'd just release the thing so it could be fully compiled with
whatever I happen to be using, already!  I doubt I will buy another nvidia
card due to all this hassle.  (I got this one back b4 I switched to Linux.
At the time I was planning to switch, so I verified Linux drivers and that
the dual head worked with them, but I didn't know enough to realize what
complications nvidia proprietary drivers would cause, nor even that they were
different from the nv drivers.  I just knew to verify they were there and
would work with the card I was looking to purchase.)

Of course, one does have a hard time arguing with nvidia's price and wide
availability..

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.
Benjamin Franklin