Some additional info.

On the kde desktop icon flashing issue. I moved some files into folders on the
desktop, and that seemed to fix the flashing. Some of these files couldn't
find there associated graphics (i.e a .pdf file may or may not look like a
pdf icon). So this may well be a non-issue, or probably NOT a Mandrake issue.

HOWEVER:

After rebooting the laptop without the pcmcia network card inserted, and then
inserting it watching on a root tty.....well as I suspected this mimmicks the
pcmcia network card issues that plagued the 8.x releases and I think got
fixed shortly before 9.1 was released. The scripts are clearly hanging. As I
recall there was much discussion of this in the past. SO this must just be a
case of deja-vu !!

Thanks for the attention.

Bob Finch

p.s. .... The fix for me was script in rc.local to take care of this. Prolly
going to have to that again. No big deal just wanted to get this "on the
record".