On Friday 18 July 2003 12:25 pm, Buchan Milne wrote:

> w9ya wrote:
> > HOWEVER:
> >
> > After rebooting the laptop without the pcmcia network card inserted,
>
> and then
>
> > inserting it watching on a root tty.....well as I suspected this
>
> mimmicks the
>
> > pcmcia network card issues that plagued the 8.x releases and I think got
> > fixed shortly before 9.1 was released. The scripts are clearly
>
> hanging. As I
>
> > recall there was much discussion of this in the past. SO this must
>
> just be a
>
> > case of deja-vu !!
>
> AFAIK, no PCMCIA cards can accurately tell you the status of the cable.
> If you aren't connected, pop the card out, if you are, pop it in,
> otherwise you will see things like this. If we can't tell if we are
> connected, we have to try dhcp, which may result in a long timeout if
> not connected => get a card that has support for this, most onboard NICs
> in new laptops do.

Let me be very specific. It worked, then I updated, then it didn't work.
Something must have changed in the updating I guess. Since I can get this to
work from a command line, I don't see why a script cannot also work, and
*again* it was working.

Additionally there is no reason to go looking for the "status of the cable" in
this case. One should just be loading drivers (which is happening) and then
if your system is dhcp based, getting a lease. Perhaps I don't truly
understand what you are saying.

Since I am not going to be fixing this, and only reporting function that was
working at one point, I am not sure it makes much difference that I know that
much about it anyways.

> > Thanks for the attention.
> >
> > Bob Finch
> >
> > p.s. .... The fix for me was script in rc.local to take care of this.
>
> Prolly

Sigh.

> > going to have to that again. No big deal just wanted to get this "on the
> > record".
>
> It would then also be useful to have the output of 'ifstatus -v
> <interface>' for each card, in different states (ie plugged in, not
> pluggged in). And you might also want to show us what you have in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, especially MII_UNSUPPORTED or
> whatever it is (aka the "network hotplugging" checkbox in drakconnect in
> expert mode).
>
> My cooker box with a RTL-8139 never has problems like this ;-) but then
> again it is always connected, and ifplugd does work well with it.

That's nice.

Well as I mentioned in the original post, even with the card installed prior
to turning the laptop on, I get the same results. And yes I do understand it
might be using the hotplugd stuff anyways. Certainly some of the same scripts
are called.

> Regards,
> Buchan
>
> - --