From: Matthew R. Sprague [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2000 3:11 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Re: [kde-alpha] kde2 -20000531

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Matthew R. Sprague wrote:
>> What differences exist between your rpm's on
> > http://us.mandrakesoft.com/~molnarc/index.html and those in Mandrake
> > cooker contributions? Are the rpm's on us.mandrake using /usr/lib/qt2 or
> > /usr/lib/qt2.1.1? This is also an issue that needs to be addressed. Why
> > is Mandrake using qt2 and Redhat qt2.1.1.? This is a classic example of
> > the need for the LSB. This is a real pain in the ass from the end user
> > standpoint.

> As far as qt goes...... The current version in cooker is qt2.1.1
> (qt2-2.1.1). I really am not sure waht you are talking about here. I
> upgraded cooker to qt2-2.1.1 the day after it was available from the
> trolls. I don't think anyone can ask much more.

I wasn't very clear here in what I was trying to get across. The qt
difference that I was talking about was where RH and Mandrake are putting
the
qt2 files
        RH --->/usr/lib/qt2.1.1
        Mandrake---->/usr/lib/qt2
Maybe I'm over reacting but from the end user point of veiw this is a pain
in
the butt. Does this not cause a problem if a someone using Mandrake decides
to grab binary RPM's made by bero for RH and install them? This is was I
meant by a good example of the pressing need for a linux standard base.
Mandrake claims 99.5(?)% compatability with RH but right now as it stands
won't this lead to potential conflicts?. This is not KDE's fault directly,
but  you might want to suggest that Mandrake and RH agree on a common
library
directory. It is a tiny difference but it is the kind of thing that can
leave
a sour taste in the mouths of new users. The other option is that there is
no
problem and I'm pulling my hair out over something that has a solution
allready built in to Mandrake.

If I'm correct in the directory naming conflict then isn't  the following a
problem?
http://www.kde.org/kde1-and-kde2.html
 #!/bin/sh
 export KDEDIR=/opt/kde2
 export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.1.1 (does this  need to be changed to
/usr/lib/qt2 for a Mandrake distribution?)
 export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$QTDIR/lib

I am still confused as to why your RPM's won't uninstall. I think this is a
Mandrake specific problem as other packages (ie pine)are also not
uninstalling. rpm -e  foo.rpm  = not installed, rpm -qa | grep foo = bingo
installed??? Chris, is this a problem with your RPM's or is this a Mandrake
problem? I am cross posting this to the Mandrake cooker list and KDE-alpha
list as parts of this thread pertain to each team. Is this OK to do or would
the developers prefer that I not cross post?

On a more upbeat note... I got the 0608 builds installed and I am very
impressed with the quality, look and feel of KDE2. You got me hooked as a
die
hard fan of KDE. Keep up the good work.