Charles....thanks, but no that's not it, as my bios power
management is already disabled.  However I believe I found the
answer (last night - late - was half asleep already).  Anyway,
I went to the K(menu)->Configuration->Hardware->DPMS selection
and disabled it.  I believe that stopped the undesired
behavior.

Alan