Charles....whoops!  When my unchecking of the Enable DPMS
checkbox in the DPMS applet didn't stick when I restarted the
xserver, I decided to actually check out what you'd suggested
(I just knew from memory that APM was disabled in bios) and lo
and behold <red frowning face here> APM was enabled!!!!
Aaarrrrggggghhhhh!!  Thanks again.

Alan