On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 06:05:51PM -0700, Todd Lyons wrote:
> Emmanuel wanted us to know:
>
> >   I  agree with you but I find it so frustrating that such a good distro
> >   misses being a great distro on every releases. I have tried Redhat and
>
> Please do not use the mailing lists for trolling.  It serves no purpose.

Is it trolling when someone voices a concern in the best way he can come up
with at that time?

If this thread keeps re-occuring, there must be something to be concerned
about, at least by a group of people who are more than just users of
mandrake (but maybe not active developers).

> EVERY damned cycle some loon tries to change the world by telling
> Mandrake to hold off cause it's not ready.  Every cycle, it gets delayed
> a week or more from the announced schedule.  That is the perfect
> embodiment of management listening to the users and developers.  It will
> continue to be this way.

Maybe something should be done (put on the Wiki) to have a more measurable
quantity to verify for a release?

I suggest something like this:

0 critical bugs for a certain list of well known hardware.
no more than X critical bugs in the bugzilla database for any hardware.
no more than Y serious bugs in the main desktop environments
no more than..... etc.

categories like security, stability are of course very important.

It's up to Mandrakesoft and the main developers to set these measures, but
once set, it is clear for everyone when a release is "ready" and no
discussion can be had on the when, but only on the measures. That is a good
discussion to have and it will be very constructive to do so. Most
importantly, this will not influence the release process by these "Trolls"
as you call them. After every release people can evaluate whether a set of
measures was sufficient or too strict and they can be adjusted. This is a
process called "Engineering", which is known to result in quality after a
certain amount of time. (I don't mean to imply that Mandrake is not using
engineering practices, just that they are not very visible on the outside)

Cheers

Simon