On Fri Sep 26, 2003 at 04:21:49AM -0400, Brook Humphrey wrote:

> > Personally, if pure-ftpd can't authenticate against LDAP (like proftpd
> > can), I'm not overly interested.  =)  proftpd may have some issues
> > periodically, but you can't beat it for configurability.
>
> Here is only a small portion of the features. I did not do the whole thing as
> it is much longer than this list.
>
> - FTP accounts can be distinct from system accounts, stored in an independant
> database. Multiple accounts can share the same system id. A built-in indexing
> database allows very fast lookups. It is sucessfully running with over 1.5
> million accounts on the same server. System accounts can be copied to virtual
> FTP accounts, so that users can have different passwords for shell access and
> FTP access.
>
> - LDAP authentication is also fully supported. Plaintext, Crypt, MD5, SMD5,
> SHA and SSHA crypto hash functions are implemented. Pure-FTPd was
> successfully tested with OpenLDAP and iPlanet Directory Server. It uses
> standard posixAccounts classes.
[... rest of the cool stuff snipped ...]

Wow.  I know what I'm doing today.  =)

Thanks, Brook.  Looks like I've been missing out.  With that feature-set, I
am not at all adverse to making pure-ftpd the default and proftpd as
optional, with wu-ftpd gone entirely.

Thanks!

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/