Le jeu 23/10/2003 à 10:25, Frederic Crozat a écrit :
> And if people were reporting bugs/responding to queries DURING the
> beta/RC period, more bugs would be fixed BEFORE final release...

excuse me, but most people will test during RC period, but the problem
was you release ... how many ... 2 RC ! after RC2 there were many bugs
remaining to fix, and some people could not install RC2 on their
computer. When i could see that some people were beginning to install
RC2, they had many problems with screensavers, etc ...
Yesterday I contact konica because I had a problem with a printer. The
technician in order to test the printer under linux as I was using mdk
install ... RC2 ( yes that's the last one available ).
Have you have a look at RC of OO.org ? You were able to release a RC
with mdk 9.2 because there was practically no differences between the
final RC and the final version.
My gnome-preference-daemon problem was reported a long time ago on the
ML, the same for the locking problem ( when I install 9.1, I had the
problem ).
For kernel you can't do better as you depend on kernel dev.
the kde screensaver problems was reported a long time ago and several
times ( just after mdk announce for ad support in the distro, so many
people think that this was related ).

You're facing the same problem than linus for the kernel. People begin
to test only when things are mark as stable or when you have RCx ( with
x > 1 ). That's why he marks 2.5 as 2.6test and you can see many people
testing it, even newbies.
Indeed when a newbie say it have a problem with distro version x.y, most
of the time, if the problem can't be easily fix ( depends on kernel, or
major lib version ), you say : just wait/install distro version x.y+1 (
or x+1.0 ) if you have to wait less than one month. if not, you will
advise him to install the version RCx only if x is at lest equal to 2 as
you know that more x is greater, more stable is the distro.
Theses newbies will test the distro on new hardware ( more or less
recent ), and/or catch some bugs that peoples who were using an old
version will not see as they manage to workaround it or they learn to
live with it.

--- <|snake> ugly, what lame distribution are u running? :P  redhat 5.1
- #linux