Joshua Jackson wrote:
> Let me see if I'm catching what you're saying...

> /dev/hda1 = fat32 (/win98)(obvious)
> /dev/hdb1 = swap
> /dev/hdb2 = ext2 (/)
> /dev/hdc1 = fat32 (/misc)(mp3's and stuff)
> /dev/hdc2 = fat16 (/backup)(obvious)

> You're saying that even though I'm not running windows at the time, the
> fact that the partitions are fatx makes them defrag, or just the fact
> that stuff was originally put there by windows?

fatNN makes them frag, slightly less so (not noticeable) under Linux. I
understand that you can get an ext2 driver for Win98 but I bet it doesn't do a
very good job (e.g. of ownership and permissions) but might help you out with
your MP3s and backup, at least.

> 'Cuz when I first boot into Linux-X-Enlightenment, top says I'm using
> like 75MB RAM and no swap.  Then, after a day of MP3's and RPM's and
> tar's and web browsing and programs and such, top says that I'm using
> like 250MB RAM and like 5-10MB swap.  Now, this isn't in windows,
> although MP3's are running from a fat32 partition for interoperability
> between Win and Lin.

That's normal. The RAM ``useage'' fills up as quickly as possible, since Linux
is loathe to have any of its RAM unemployed (ie it doesn't expend effort kicking
stuff out of RAM unless it has a reason).

--
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.