Ben Reser wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 05:23:06PM +1100, Ron Stodden wrote:
> > > * "host shell accounts"
> >
> > What are telnet, rsh and ssh if not host shell accounts?
>
> I should have explained the context of that.  They said you couldn't sell or
> give out internet access to *OTHERS* for example shell accounts.  I don't see
> how that should prevent you from having sshd on your box.
>
> > Such scanning is regular and constant with optushome (which is
> > excite@home) here in Australia.  What's more, it emanates from a US
> > @home IP address, so, yes, they are port scanning.  They have to in
> > order to make sure that precedents to violations of their AUP cannot
> > be established.
>
> Their AUP explicitly says they don't do it but that they reserve the right to.
> I don't see why they have to scan.
>
> Besides you ignored the whole statement about if it wise for a distributions to
> be catering to a minority of the users.  I don't see Mandrake giving in to you
> and turning telnet off.
>
> If it's such a problem for you, you know how to turn it off yourself.
>
> --
> Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://ben.reser.org
>
> Maslow's Maxim:  If the only tool you have is a hammer,
> you treat everything like a nail.

If MS do not set sshd on the workstation setup then they MUST remove telnetd!

Good luck then because most of the machine won't work!

Ron Stodden from Optus Australia,

99% of users do not have access to cable modem: There are only 2 people who have
complained on this list about it. And this list has more than 200 subscribers. So
from my Divine Authorithy, I punish you to spend the rest of your life into the
accounting department...

Moreover Optus is own by Cable&Wirelless a well known company for its
monopolistic, anti development and colonialist practises.

Go'd Day Mate!

Enough rant, let just get on with it: The reality is that MS is not yet geared
toward the corporate market and more towards the home user.

Cheers.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]