On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 05:23:06PM +1100, Ron Stodden wrote:
> > * "host shell accounts"
>
> What are telnet, rsh and ssh if not host shell accounts?

I should have explained the context of that.  They said you couldn't sell or
give out internet access to *OTHERS* for example shell accounts.  I don't see
how that should prevent you from having sshd on your box.

> Such scanning is regular and constant with optushome (which is
> excite@home) here in Australia.  What's more, it emanates from a US
> @home IP address, so, yes, they are port scanning.  They have to in
> order to make sure that precedents to violations of their AUP cannot
> be established.

Their AUP explicitly says they don't do it but that they reserve the right to.
I don't see why they have to scan.

Besides you ignored the whole statement about if it wise for a distributions to
be catering to a minority of the users.  I don't see Mandrake giving in to you
and turning telnet off.

If it's such a problem for you, you know how to turn it off yourself.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

Maslow's Maxim:  If the only tool you have is a hammer,
you treat everything like a nail.