On Sunday 29 October 2000 16:00, you wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
> > Millions of electrons died to bring me this message.  Was it worth it,
> >  Jason Straight?
> >
> > > I know, I understand the GPL but the GPL doesn't give someone else the
> > > right to take a product and claim it's a different version and sell it.
> >
> > Actually, it does.  As long as they make the source code available to
> > whoever they sold it to, you can do that.  On a similar note, remember
> > that really bad "linux dot com" company (I think it was called LinuxOne)?
> >  They took Mandrake 6.1, changed a few names, and tried to sell it.
> >
> > If MandrakeSoft owns a copyright on "Mandrake" (as I would expect them
> > to), they could sue for copyright infringement.  Unless they have some
> > agreement with MacMillian which allows them to use the name.  Which I
> > think is the case.
> >
> > :(
> >
> > One of the problems with a GPLed world is getting information to people.
> > Anybody can make a new linux distro.  Call it "Red Mat".  Sell it to
> > newbies. Distro really sucks, because the maker is just out for a scam.
> > Newbies think that all linux sucks.
>
> Well take the Red Hat linux distro and call it Mandrake and redistribute
> it....

Yeah, but the difference is Mandrake did that and they didn't call it RedHat
anymore! MacMillan is distribuing "Mandrake Linux 7.2" only it isn't!

it's 7.2rc1 or thereabout. If they are going to do that they need to change
the name to MacMillan linux 1.0 or whatever.

--
Movie: The Sixth Sense
"I see dumb people... they're everywhere.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ 1796276