From: Brian J. Murrell
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 1:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Cooker] REALLY need a nongui MandrakeUpdate

There is one place where Mandrake is REALLY suffering at trying to
gain acceptability into the enterprise.  A non-gui update tool.  Right
now, if I have a shop with 50 Linux servers, I am not going to log
into each server and run MandrakeUpdate.

You know what I AM going to do?  I am going to have cron run up2date
(RedHat's updater) in batch mode (on RedHat boxes in case that was not
obvious).

There are huge security reasons to load all of the shit that is needed
for MandrakeUpdate too.  I don't want X-windows and perl on my
secrurity gateways.  Way too many holes and tools for the Wiley
Cracker thanks.

How about a non-perl (and non-python for that matter -- be better than
RH) based character based, batchable update tool already?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell