On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 12:07:15PM +0100, Pixel wrote:
> "Brian J. Murrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> MandrakeUpdate is a 99% gui tool.

And if you maintain that attitude you will lose.  Continue that
attitude and you will not make it into the enterprise market where you
NEED to be if you are going to make any money in the Linux game.  I
know this.  At the company I work for, I wanted to use Mandrake for
our infrastructure and I was overridden because your "business model
does not have sustainability" (quote from the business managers).  In
other words there was no confidence that you would be around in 5
years.

I wonder how many other shops make the same decisions?  Just one more
story:  During my last few weeks working in the IT department at
a(nother) Linux distro comanpany, I came back to Mandrake for my
personal machines (I was a Mandrake user prior to working there and
liked it enough to return to it when I did not feel obligated to run
the product of the company I was working for), and turned one of the
other fellows there on to it too.  He really liked it.

He left very shortly after I did and is working in an OpenSource
software shop currently in their IT department.  He convinced them to
switch from Debian to Mandrake.  He likes Mandrake, but it pisses him
off to no end that there is no decent efficient update tool.  Enough
that he is wondering if he made a mistake installing Mandrake on all
of their servers.

> The effective stuff is so simple that i wonder
> why you ask for it ;p

You lost me.  What "effective stuff"?

> Just mirror the Mandrake/updates/7.2 (or whatever the version you're using)
> directory and rpm -Fvh * in cron and that's it!

Omigawd!  You are kidding right?  How many packages are in Mandrake
7.2?  My "secure" box has only 106 packages -- with likely too much
cruft on it already.  So what percentage of the distro do I have
installed (106 / # packages in 7.2)?

Now download the entire updates directory when I actually only need a
small percentage of them?  Jeez, what makes it even worse is that at
least half of them seem to be KDE updates.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell