On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 01:31:45PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> At 12:59 PM 1/21/01, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
> Brian,

Hi David,

> Wow!  Only 106 packages.

Yup.  And like I said, that was with really no effort (in paring down)
which means it is likely too much.

> My development machine has over 500 packages and,
> no, I don't know what they all are.

So I am 20% of what you have installed, so likely <20% of all packages
on a 7.2 install CD.  I really don't want to download 5x the packages
I will actually install.

> One strategy might be to create a script that uses the rpm list that "rpm
> -qa" generates, trims the package names of version info, then uses rsync to
> update a selective mirror site.  At the very least, that would produce
> something close to the proper set of packages needed and would
> significantly cut down on disk usage.  Given the downloaded packages, the
> script could then be used to determine additional dependencies and get them
> or notify you of their need.

Yeah, I before MandrakeUpdate I had written one of those, and I could
dig it up and resurrect it but I really think this is something that
Mandrake NEEDS in the distro.  That is why I suggested it.

The idea was good though.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell