--- "J . A . Magallon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 02.06 Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> > Eugenio Diaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >

> > [...]
> >
> > > Not only that, but XFS is a proven (in my opinion the
> > > best) enterprise class file system. It brings
> > > performance, scalability, security, QoS features,
> > > uptime, and more to Linux. I don't think reiserfs and
> > > XFS can be put in the same category. Just to start,
> > > XFS is a port of a proven product, while reiserfs is a
> > > *relatively* new and unproven product.
> >
> > It's rather sad to see that SGI has written a patch to Anaconda to support
> > XFS, and they don't care about our installer :-(..
> >

> They distribute RedHat for their intel machines, don't be surprised not to
> care about anything more (althoug I have heard something about TurbuLinux...)

They decided not to provide a SGI distro, and instead go with an existent
distro, and provide any SGI specific enhancements in a separate software
package called SGI Pro Pack which works with RH, SUSE, TurboLinux, and Debian
(why not Mandrake also? Ask MandrakeSoft). Check:

http://www.sgi.com/software/linux/propack/tech_info.html
http://www.sgi.com/software/linux/propack/faq.html

Yes, they ship with RH, NT or No OS, but they will support any distro that
complies with their basic requirements. They have worked with SUSE on
high-availability:

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2000/february/suse.html
http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/2000/august/suse.html

they even partnered with a competing hardware vendor, VA/Linux to help the
Debian cause:

http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/oct/sgi_oreilly.html

so don't tell me they don't play nice with others (as long as those others are
*willing*).

=====