Agree the security part of it here. Remember the Ramen worm? Most people
tend to make full installation, and did nothing to turn them off later,
and left it open to internet thinking that it's the most secure OS in the
world. Yes, a *VERY LARGE* portion of people's linux knowledge is like
this: "what is apache?"

I think the following sentence is known well among more experienced
people:

        If you don't know what it is, you don't need it.

The converse is also true:

        If you need it, you'll know what it is. (and know how to turn it
on too)

Yes, I know msec does part of it, but still needs more tightening. Yet I
don't want to criticize Mandrake so much, since at that time Mandrake 7.2
was a lot better than Redhat 6.2 --- it even ignores such things as
openwall patch and Bastille Linux.

For the complain that it's bloated, I don't agree. Let's compare with
SuSE, and I think u get it immediately. It's up to users to choose what to
install. Yes, you don't use news readers (me neither), but does that mean
all people in the world don't use news readers? All people don't use
Gimp? For those who don't even know what some package "foo" can do, how
can they tell which is needed and which is not then? They will only
complain "There is no tool for me to do this thing" instead.

If you can trim down the OS, it can be only 150MB something or even
smaller (see vector linux) yet still contain most of the apps
needed. However that needs a certain expertise before you can even decide
what is needed and what is not.........

Abel Cheung