"R.I.P. Deaddog" wrote:

> Yes, a *VERY LARGE* portion of people's linux knowledge is like
> this: "what is apache?"
Yes, and a *VERY LARGE* portion of people's Linux knowledge is like
this: "what is amd, dhcpd, heartbeat, ldirectord, lvs, portmap, xntpd,
xinetd?" . Those abbreviation really *doesn't make sense* to
non-technical Linux newbies.

Also, about naming, sure, experienced Linux people know what "Gpa"
stands for. But non-technical people will goes like "Huh? What's GPA?"
... why not just name them with *human* name and spell it out "GNU
Privacy Assistant?" If you want to attract non-technical people to
Linux, communicate with regular language that can be understood by
ordinary human being. My point is: why not name them with a regular name
"GNU Privacy Assistant" in /usr/lib/menu entries? These ***little small
things become huge*** and they are obstacles to Linux newbies into
getting acquinted with Linux.

About the security, please let me elaborate this a little bit. Most of
Linux newbie that I know, they try to install everything because they
want to know what's in there. After a while, will they use it? Not all,
and it takes quite a while to understand what xntpd is for.

About bloatedness, what I meant was there's a lot of double packages and
one of them have better quality but both are installed. One example is:
xrn & pan, then GXEdit & gedit. Why not save the space for other
applications?

Why is there is still bash1 ? Hmm.. then I was confused what that's for.

Also, I often talk with ordinary people who don't know what Linux is.
Some of them, after they try it out, they like it. But then they turned
away from it because Netscape unstable, X Window crashes and goes blank,
X Window freezes after they launch 3D games, and the list goes on. So,
what is the stability mean for them? They can't even distinguish between
kernel stability and application stability.

But hey, don't get me wrong. I like Linux and I'm involved in Gnome
Foundation, and 1 of my proggie (gnome-telnet) is included in LM 7.2,
Redhat 7.1, and TurboLinux.

--
Prana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.cyest.org