"And at install time between a CD and a hdd both running DMA...."

I have the Via chipset with the above situation: after crashing several times while I
tried the few tricks I know, the RC1 install suddenly went through fine, have no clue
why ! copying 670Mb of packages took all of a blazing 3-4 minutes ! nice going,
Mandrake crew, nice :-)

btw: Win2K also has an impossibly hard time with this mobo until I abandoned it for
old warhorse NT4SP6 *groan*
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Friday 13 April 2001 17:45, you wrote:
> > >
> > >         *OUCH*!!! My AOpen mobo has the VIA chipset... (and it's Friday
> > > the thirteenth!).
> > > Can't afford a new mobo, so does this mean that all the kinky goings on
> > > with my system
> > > _wasn't_ due to beta code, the phase of the moon, or my cat biting me?
> > > <*sheesh*!!>
> > >
> > >                         ... so what do we do now? ... switch to Windows
> > > Me??? [NOT!!!]
> > >
> > >                         Elton Woo ;-)
> >
> > It only happens with big files between two ide hard drives at maximum
> > throughput and blah blah blah read the report
>

> And at install time between a CD and a hdd both running DMA....
>
> And probably not testably reproducible at other times as well...
>
> It is a _HARDWARE_RACE_CONDITION_ and those tend to be as predictable as the
> outcome of a rain dance.  Just lucky someone found a reproducible set of
> circumstances so some confessions could be forthcoming and a fix could be
> encouraged, else the poor overworked kernel hackers in all distros would
> still be pulling out their hair, or flattening the tops of their heads by
> bashing them against the nearest convenient wall.
>
> Civileme

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/