Robert Shade wrote:

> Could one of the cooker maintainers give me a simple howto to compile
> Cooker from the SRPMS.  I know how to compile SRPMS, but I was wondering
> what order I would need to compile them in or if the install program
> will even recognize *.i686.rpm's instead of the i586 ones.

This is an rpm specific question really.

Mandrake doesn't seem to provide an option to do this (but Debian might,
someone let me know). What I'd love to have is the most minimal set of
packages installed, the install would then download and compile the
SRPMS according to your specified arch and optflags.

THis may not be too easily because frequently I grab an SRPM for cooker
and it fails with a compiler error. Also compiling with certain options,
especially -On, n > 2 can cause problems.

To answer your question, I am not sure what you refer to as 'install
program'. You could for example, make your own depslist that urpmi can
use to upgrade your system, but like I said, I don't think it handles
sources.

What I suggest, is starting with an already installed mandrake system,
simply add something like this to you ~/.rpmrc:

buildarchtranslate: i686: athlon
arch_compat: athlon: i686
buildarch_compat: athlon: i686
optflags: athlon -O3 -march=athlon

Of course in your case you may need to replace athlon with pentiumpro.
i686 is the output of

uname -m.

--
Sincerely,