On 20 Jul 2001 23:55:39 -0400, Larry Braden wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Hope this isn't an old hat problem, but I'm getting input/output errors
> when I open a terminal to /mnt/cdrom.  This is the case with root and
> users. FSTAB says supermount is set up for iso9660. Any ideas on what I
> need to do?  The OS was just freshly installed.
>
> thanks sincerely,
>
> Larry Braden,
> Catonsville, MD 21228

Larry,

What kind of drive is it?  IDE or SCSI?  I hadn't seen this problem
before a few nights ago, but then installed Mandrake Freq #2 on a
different system than I normally run cooker on, and it has an Adaptec
2930CU card and an HP 9210 CDRW drive (the cooker system is all IDE).
Last night went to install a few packages in rpmdrake and it popped out
CD 1 and asked me to insert CD 2.  But it didn't remount properly.  It
showed me about a dozen rpms, all in the root directory of the disc, and
then one directory having the same name as one of the packages, that
seemed to be a recursive link to the same directory of those same dozen
packages.  Verified the CD in another system (and on the same system but
booted into Windows, so on the same drive) and the disc was fine.  Did
some more digging, and it seems that if I boot with the drive empty, the
first disc I put in is fine.  If I change discs, I either get an
input/output error, or some bizarrely mounted disc like I described.  If
I boot with a disc in the drive, that disc gets mounted fine during
boot, but as soon as I take it out I start getting VFS messages ("inode
busy" messages of some sort) as soon as I eject the disc.  If I close
the tray empty, the messages keep going.  Close it with a different disc
in it and I again get either an input/output error or some crazy mount
that doesn't work.  My gut feeling is it has something to do with the
SCSI drivers.  Anyone?

(My gut feeling comes from the fact that the SCSI drivers in the kernel
used for the install are totally broken - over 3 hours to install the
RPMs because the driver doesn't talk nicely to the card - I trust the
next Mandrake Freq release with fix this...?)

Eaon