Op 26 Jul 2001 22:31:45 -0700, Ben Reser schreef:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:31:50PM -0400, David Walluck wrote:
> > I have RPMS of avifile, lame, and mplayer, but I'm a U.S. citizen and
> > should abide by U.S. laws, if I know what they are. Some things, like
> > the case against DeCSS may only be illegal in the states where they have
> > cases pendeing. libcss probably violates the DMCA, but the DMCA is
> > unconstitutional, and is it my job to decide this or must I wait for
> > someone to press charges on me? Unlike the guy who runs 2600, I am not
> > so willing to put myself into jeopardy.
>
> I still think lame isn't legal because of the patent even if they don't
> have the ISO code anymore.  It's like LZW Compression and Unisys they
> don't care what implementation you use, even ones the programmers say
> avoid the claims in the patent.  If you can read and write LZW
> Compression (e.g. GIF) then you're violating the patent.  And like you
> said I'm not willing to try and prove them wrong.
>
> --
> Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> http://ben.reser.org
>
> Wizard's First Rule - People are stupid, they will believe anything
> if they want it to be true or they fear it is true - Terry Goodkind

AFAIK mp3 is only patented in germany and the usa,and in the usa it
isn't even on solid ground(they asked for a patent after 3 years or so.
You only have a year). Germany seems to be solid (if you overlook the
fact that you can't officially patent software). I think you can legal
use it without patent fears in for example france.