Geoffrey Lee wrote:

> (1) Having something which requires us to pay a fee for a function is not
> Ok. In this case it would be the encoding function of MPEG.
>
> (2) An open-source, but restrictive license is not Ok either.
>
> If lame has gotten rid of those MPEG patented functions, it might be Ok to
> include it.
>
> If they meet the above requirements, I think people should be very open-minded
> about its inclusion in cooker. I have used xmovie and xine before, and I know
> that xine has problems with playing certain VCDs, and that xmovie does not
> work 100 % of the time (though it has come a long way from 1.5.x ..)
>
> Someone want to make an RPM of it, or has already got one?

I have RPMS of avifile, lame, and mplayer, but I'm a U.S. citizen and
should abide by U.S. laws, if I know what they are. Some things, like
the case against DeCSS may only be illegal in the states where they have
cases pendeing. libcss probably violates the DMCA, but the DMCA is
unconstitutional, and is it my job to decide this or must I wait for
someone to press charges on me? Unlike the guy who runs 2600, I am not
so willing to put myself into jeopardy.

But as a Linux user, I think that getting these apps out if we can are
of prime importance. Any OS that stands to compete with Windows has to
play media. It's a thing people like to do, especially with a DVD they own.

--
Sincerely,

David Walluck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>