On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:31:50PM -0400, David Walluck wrote:
> I have RPMS of avifile, lame, and mplayer, but I'm a U.S. citizen and
> should abide by U.S. laws, if I know what they are. Some things, like
> the case against DeCSS may only be illegal in the states where they have
> cases pendeing. libcss probably violates the DMCA, but the DMCA is
> unconstitutional, and is it my job to decide this or must I wait for
> someone to press charges on me? Unlike the guy who runs 2600, I am not
> so willing to put myself into jeopardy.

I still think lame isn't legal because of the patent even if they don't
have the ISO code anymore.  It's like LZW Compression and Unisys they
don't care what implementation you use, even ones the programmers say
avoid the claims in the patent.  If you can read and write LZW
Compression (e.g. GIF) then you're violating the patent.  And like you
said I'm not willing to try and prove them wrong.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

Wizard's First Rule - People are stupid, they will believe anything
if they want it to be true or they fear it is true - Terry Goodkind