C'mon, that's what makes mandrake mandrake. The way I see it is this:

I like what mandrake provides and use lots of it, I can either install
mandrake in 1/2hr or I can install slackware or debian or whatever and spend
the next 20 days trying to turn it into mandrake trying to play catch up
because normally the distro is so far behind 99% of it has to be replaced to
bring it up to date and download and apply the patches.

Having so many packages on mandrake saves me from spending valuable bandwidth
and time redownloading and compiling packages and updates. I realize that
extra CD with mandrake might be too heavy for you to carry around in your CD
case or something but I don't think it makes a difference weather a distro
comes on 1 CD or 5, The core of the OS is still on the first CD. You can
install mdk without the second CD anyway I think, so throw it out.

--
Jason Straight
BlazeConnect