Le Dimanche 5 Août 2001 02:55, vous avez écrit :
> That sounds like a good idea for a basic install...
> the reason I mentioned the search was for specialty
> items like ssh, gnucash or some other requested
> feature based on needs.... if the search engine was
> sufficiently smart it would recognize the windows
> program equivalent.
>
> Example:
> search for quicken brings up gnucash
> search for photoshop brings up the gimp

Arf. If you want what about rename Linux Mandrake as Mandrake XP ? It will be
easier to recognise. Really, I don't think it is a good idea, and I really
don't want to see such a feature. It will mix people who are going to say :
how can I launch an .exe ? How can I install DirectX ? (question :what's the
equivalent of DirectX ?) etc ...
I hope we are not going to do another Windows, or else we will fail as we
can't overcome the original.

> This would do two things:
>   make the conversion to linux easier because you see
> the software equivalents you are looking for
>   familiarize the newbie to the name and functions of
> some of the new software, which will help ease the
> intimidation factor.

There are other way as a classification organisation : Network -> Mail Client

I prefer a search option in order to find very quickly some of the package I
need, even if, I know, I've got the ability to install them after.

--
Copyleft Faber's prod. 2001