On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:53:30AM -0400, David Walluck wrote:

> I read an article in which the creator of ReiserFS seemed to say that XFS
> by far was the best journaling filesystem for Linux. He put in a good word
> about ext3, but this is only because he didn't want to step on any toes.

So did he say that he was only saying good things about ext3 "not to
step on toes"?  Or did you ask him why he made the comments he did
about ext3 and he said just to "not step on any toes"?

Or is it neither of those and you are just putting words in his mouth?

> When 8.1 comes out I am going to reformat just to get XFS in palce of
> ReiserFS, and I don't plan on using ext3, because the reason for its use
> is only a political one.

Huh?  So now you are speaking not only for "the creator of ReiserFS"
but also for the whole Mandrake Linux user base as well as all of the
Mandrake employees?

How about maybe they are including ext3 not because of politics but
because some of us actually want to use it?

> RedHat and the kernel developers are guilty of
> this, and Mandrake ais s well.

Judge and jury too are you?

> Until ext3 is stable

Is stable?  I have been using it for a year now with little to no
problems.

> and starts winning on
> some benchmark tests

So everyone's number one motivation for using a given filesystem is
performance?  Glad you can speak for all of us so well.

> why should anyone use it outside of politics?

Maybe because *I* am happy with it, and *I* don't want to reformat
filesystems and restore data from tape and *I* want to maintain
compatibility with ext2 kernels?  There are all kinds of reasons to
use ext3 "outside of politics".

> I don't want to start a flame war,

You sure could have fooled me!  Why do you come here making
inflamatory statements and putting words in everybody's mouths and
accusing people of "playing politics" and then say you don't want to
start a flame war?

> and I am glad that Mandrake provides
> the user with choices for journaling filesystems, but I don't like when
> politics take the place of technical superiority.

Mandrake are providing the user with *ALL* of the journalling
filesystem options available out there.  How is "politics" taking the
place of "technical superiority"?  Oh, and you must be a filesystem
developer to be able to claim "technical superiority" right?

> I am not a filesystem
> developer,

Oh you are not one.

> so I personally cannot lay claim to which is best,

But you just made a claim above that Mandrake is playing politics over
technological superiority.  You must have some expertise in
filesystems to be able to determine technical superiority in order to
make those claims, no?

> but I have
> read reviews

Other peoples opinions then?  So you are letting others draw your
conclusions.

> and benchmarks of journaling filesystems,

Oh, yeah.  Benchmarks.  Right, I forgot, we are all supposed to have
performance as our number one criteria when determining which
filesystem we will use.

> And since Mandrake chooses ext3 simply because
> RedHat does (RedHat compatibility),

So you have statements from Mandrake that the only reason they are
using ext3 is because Red Hat does?  Or are you speaking for others
again?

Did you ever stop to think that Mandrake are including ext3 because
that is what the freakin' market wants?

> then they are guilty of these same
> politics.

Give it a rest.