David Walluck wrote:

> I have had reisfer on my root filesystem for months now without problems.
Hey, me too.  But I dont do this on old drives, or ones which i know to
have bad media or to need frequent bad block checking.
> I have heard of people having problems but I still don't understand the
> technical reason for not having it as a root filesystem.
See above.
>Luckily Mandrake
> puts these modules in the initrd so that I can actually boot the FS.
as ext3 is also in initrd, as opposed to vmlinuz (i may be wrong about
this...)

> I did mention that I was aware that Mandrake offers more than one
> journaling FS. I do know that RedHat has switched to ext3 for a root FS
> (unless I read that incorrectly). I can't say which Mandrake chooses by
> default because I haven't run the install since ext3 was added. I
That is why your innocent misunderstanding turned into an all out flame
holy war.  Do every research possible.  Or just ask first.
> mentioned this too, and if someone could outline the procedure that would
> be appreciated.
in recommended, it will use ext2 (i assume.  Jason correct me if I'm
wrong).  In expert, it will let you choose what type.  default is ext2
because that is the way linux is.  it has worked for more years than
reiser's earliest 2.2 implementation (jun 95 was it for the biggest ext2
release ever?) and this is because it has been around longer.  It is
just as easy (a mouse on crack could do it) to switch to any other fs
under the sun (you get the idea) including the big 4 journalers.  Mdk,
for the last time, DID NOT SWITCH TO EXT3.  It is possible to add
support for something without switching to it exclusively (after all,
this aint win we're talking about).  Mdk also has as much (as far as
installer capability, and in the choice of fs respect) support for xfs
and jfs as for ext3 and reiser notail (hehe) but is far from SWITCHING
to either of those

> We are all aware that Mandrake has liked to stay RedHat compatible. So we
> know *some* things are done just to be compatible with RedHat. So if
Yes, things have been done for such technical compatibility, or because
we saw redhat do it and realized it was a good idea, or because we
needed a solution and redhat had it, but never for solely being redhat.
  I have never heard gael refer to mandrake as "RedHat compiled with
optimizations for i586 ?;P".  I dont think i will for quite a while.
> RedHat chooses ext3 by default, there's no reason why Mandrake *can't*
> choose it was well. I am not arguing that RedHat compatibility is a bad
> thing either, especially from a commercial standpoint.
I take that as an insult to mdk and its hard working developers.  A
random guess tells me that there are a bit over 1.5 million mandrake
users in the us who use it for other reasons than it being like redhat.
  If that is why they bought/downloaded it they would have gotten
RedHat.  Gut instinct tells me they can read the label/filename well
enough to know.

I hope i was as diplomatic as possible in this response, though
suppressing much in that last comment.B