Wow.  Mr. Murrell gonna send some blood flyin' :P
j/k

Regardless of whether or not reiser notail is faster by bogobench or
whatever, i use ext3 on a number of drives because reiser cannot handle
the incredible age and lost integrity of those medias.  I dont use xfs
widely due to not wanting to work out compat issues and stability etc
(not every sys is the latest and greatest kernel nor are they all mdk).
  We all (even you davey) know better than to put jfs on root unless
very rooted in that area of expertise and got a good reason.  Mdk (and
its developers) do a very nice job of keeping so many doors (note the
lack of windows ;p) open for us to improve or fsck whatever we want (of
course at the same time as keeping neophytes from doing the latter).
Mdk _never_ switched to ext3 or anything like it.  it added support for
it just as it did for xfs, jfs, and reiser.  just because apt is in
contribs dont mean mdk is now .deb based if that helps you get my meaning.
~cough~

Blue-off to play with lvm :P