--- Charles A Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:27:33 +0100
> Olivier Thauvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Le Mardi 19 Février 2002 17:20, Guillaume
> Cottenceau a écrit :
> > > Charles A Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> are as correct and function
> > [...]
> the background being used
> > >
> > > You can always set it up manually!
> >
> > to Mandrake:
> > What do you choose ?
> > Some poeple who have an ati rage 128 can be afraid
> by this bug. I'm remember
> > I have very bad performance just after the install
> of 8.1 and with 8.2
> > cooker, it is only the first I can play with this
> games. Waiting next other
> > distrib for playing is not a problem for me if I
> know the solution.
> > But I think it is a good idea to inform public how
> to activate DRI and why it
> > is not do by default
> >
> > It is only my point of view. I'll see what do you
> do in the next cooker !
>

> I played around with it a little more.
>
> The distorted background happens Only if you are
> using kdm.
> It Does Not happen if you are using gdm.
> Repeat..it Does not happen if you use gdm.
>
> To me this says that the problem Is Not dri with the
> r128 but with kdm.
>
> I have a feeling that even if dri is disabled the
> kdm login screen as
> current still will not display properly with the
> r128.

kdm does display properly without dri. But the problem
can be seen eslewhere. If you have more than 1 X
display running (:0 and :1) which can be accessed by
Ctrl + Alt + F7 (:0) and Ctrl + Alt + F8 (:1) you will
notice that there is no problem going to :0 but that
everything is screwy when go to :1. TO get it to work
right you will need to Ctrl + Alt + F9 (or F1-F6, etc)
to get a terminal, then back to Ctrl + Alt + F8 to see
it properly. As far as the kdm problem, going back and
forth between :0 and console will eventually get it to
look properly also.

=====
SI Reasoning
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A requirement of creativity is that it contributes to change.  Creativity keeps
the creator alive.

-FRANK HERBERT, unpublished notes