On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Robert Fox wrote:

> Bottom line is - my machine crashes HARD without this option - and I
> would venture to guess there are several others out there who also have
> AMD based machines - and some of these people may not be technical
> enough to find and/or install this option in lilo.conf - too hard for a
> newbie.

True.  This is a workaround for the cache consistency problems that occur with
AGP video cards and AMD CPUs.  It hurts performance, so it shouldn't be used
everywhere.  At the same time, I haven't heard of a real fix (which is
non-trivial) for the problem, so waiting for one in the kernel may not make
sense either.

---
Stan Seibert