On Tuesday 26 Feb 2002 13:43, Pixel wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Fox) writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > My machine has a nasty tendancy to hard crash when I play BZFLAG for
> > extended periods without the "mem=nopentium" option.
> >
> > I also read somewhere that this options if highly recommended (for
> > stability) for AMD based mahines.
> >
> > Why doesn't the DrakX install catch this and do this automatically?
>
> because I really think it should be fixed in the kernel?
>
> if mem=nopentium is *needed*, why not have it by default!

What?  The provided Mandrake kernel is for all types of processors, not
just AMD.  You wouldn't want "mem=nopentium" is you have a pentium.  So
command line option is the only option as far as I can see.
--
Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.  AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB RAM.
Registered Linux User 219434.  Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin)