[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Fox) writes:

[...]

> > > My machine has a nasty tendancy to hard crash when I play BZFLAG for
> > > extended periods without the "mem=nopentium" option.
> > >
> > > I also read somewhere that this options if highly recommended (for
> > > stability) for AMD based mahines.
> > >
> > > Why doesn't the DrakX install catch this and do this automatically?
> >
> > because I really think it should be fixed in the kernel?
> >
> > if mem=nopentium is *needed*, why not have it by default!

[...]

> Agreed it "should" be fixed in the kernel - but how long can we afford
> to wait - and what are the consequences of NOT adding the option for the
> next (imminent) Mandrake release??

patching the kernel to have this is easy. I don't care if the "standard"
kernel doesn't have it. AFAIK they (kernel people) say it's not a clean
solution, nor does it fix everything.

As for me, I don't care wether it's ugly or not. Having it lilo.conf means it
will stay there after upgrading to fixed kernel. The right place to fix is in
the kernel.